Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My Three Change Challenge

Happy Tuesday everyone! This wasn't the best day in the world, that's for sure. I've had a pounding headache all day and wanted nothing more than to crawl into bed in a dark quiet room. I came home and forced myself outside to take my pup, Jamie, out for a nice long walk. I love having her around. All she has to do is give me her sweet look and I melt into taking her for a walk. I enjoy it though. We have a beautiful trail near our house. Our long walks give me time to think and decompress from the day. I'm happy to say my head didn't hurt near as much when I got back! Yay for that!

Today I received a comment from Amanda at RuntoTheFinish She saw a comment I had made somewhere stating I really wanted to get back into running after taking a MONTH off! Yikes! She has started a 30 Day Three Changes Challenge. It's a really neat way to document the three changes you're planning to make in the next 30 days. She has a Google Document already started that each participant adds to. You can see what other people are working on, get support, receive support and hopefully meet your three change goal! Such a great idea. I'm so excited to get started. Here are my three changes from April 13-May 13. I can do anything for 30 days right?

Change #1 - NO MORE POP
This is such a hard one for me. Growing up I seriously drank upwards of 7,8,9 etc cans of regular pop PER DAY. So bad. I can only imagine what I put in my body. I was super athletic growing up, so luckily I never really saw the negative effects of what I was putting in my body...until the last few years. I'm by no means overweight, but I'm definitely hovering on the upside of where I should be for my height. I've tried SO MANY times to give up pop. I've even gone for weeks at a time with no pop. For reasons unbeknownst to me, I always end up coming back for more. Today begins NO MORE POP!!!!

Change #2 - Run at least 4 days a week/P90X 6 days a week
I began training for a half marathon back in December. I was rock star devoted and motivated. I even had some crazy ice spikes so that I could run in the snowy and icy weather...and I did! I ran in sub-zero temps while training. I was seriously doing great. Again, not sure what happened. Life got in the way. My husband's baseball coaching season started up, I began taking on more work, etc. Excuses. Strange thing is, I ran religionsly in the nasty weather, but stopped when it started getting nice. Strange, no? I want to get back to running. I want to enjoy the racing circuit in the Chicago area this summer. Even if that means just running 5ks and 10ks. Sometimes I set my sights too far and plan on running marathons and then let myself down. I just need to start slow...baby steps. :)

Change #3 - Call two friends a week
I've talked about this in earlier posts (uhhhhh yeah, I think I only wrote like three posts prior to this, but whatever!). Friends have bounced in and out of my life over the last few years. I have a small few who are wonderful friends, there for me whenever and wherever I need them. I love them and am so grateful for them. I feel like I'm at a place in my life where I need my girlfriends. I also think it's really hard at this age to make new friends. Everyone seems to be pretty comfortable and set in their ways. I would really like to concentrate on nourishing the relationships that I do have and hopefully find some ways to meet new people in the meantime.

What are three changes you can make in the next month? Is there anything you've been thinking about changing or working on? Spring is here and now's the time to find ways to grow and become your best self! I've got a loooong way to go, but step by step, I'm making changes.

6 comments:

  1. Those all sound like great changes. You can definitely do anything for 30 days and then hopefully you will get used to it so they stick. Good luck. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to say change #1 for me is to get a job but I know I only have so much control over that.

    I definitely need to CLEAN MORE and stay on top of school, that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like some great changes! challenging, but totally realistic! you'll do great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a neat idea! nice to "meet" you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah! (this is my older daughter's name-therefore I already like you).
    Those are some awesome goals- my hubby is a runner- in fact, he has been training this past month for a 4 mile mud run! Yuck, it's dirty! But lots of fun to watch!
    My 3 things:
    Get up earlier
    Workout more regularly (3X a week)
    Drink more water.
    Give more hugs and smiles.
    I know that's 5 things!! But hugs and smiles are the easiest!
    So nice to meet you from Serenity Now!
    Blessings from my home to yours and "woof" to Jamie!

    ReplyDelete